Friday, April 08, 2005

Sigh... oh so many sighs

There's nothing sadder than people using "whomever" as the subject of a noun clause, like "We should drag out into the street and shoot whomever uses that loathsome construction." You can actually hear them being proud of themselves, but simultaneously earning the scorn of the knowledgeable.

I was in the Columbus, OH airport today and shook my head in predictable disappointment at a large ad in the terminal: Below a picture of a doctor concerned about the quality of a health insurance plan, the caption read, "Who can I count on?" Well, doc, you can count on I.

I received an Evite "From Jane (courtesy of Jesse)." Trouble is, it came from Jane's email account, and is an invitation to a party at Jesse's house. This should be "From Jesse (courtesy of Jane)."

No comments: