Monday, April 18, 2005

Juvenile Brinkmanship

It seems the proclivity to engage in arms races develops in us from a tender young age. Consider the following two examples.

1. From a psychology textbook, courtesy of our friend in Columbia's psych department:
We study exchanges like these, between David and Josh, two young children, in a section of my textbook on the development of "prosocial behavior."
  • David: I'm a missile robot who can shoot missiles out of my fingers. I can shoot them out of everywhere - even out of my legs. I'm a missile robot.
  • Josh: (tauntingly) No, you're a fart robot.
  • David: (protestingly) No, I'm a missile robot.
  • Josh: No, you're a fart robot.
  • David: (hurt, almost in tears) No, Josh!
  • Josh: (recognizing that David is upset) And I'm a poo-poo robot.
  • David: (in good spirits again) I'm a pee-pee robot.
What kind of robot are you?

----

2. During Sunday school recently, I went into a neighboring 2nd-grade classroom to get a few markers, and the students were doing a Passover art project. Two boys close to where I was standing were drawing the Angel of Death, and here is the brief exchange I overheard (names have been assigned arbitrarily; any resemblance to their actual names is purely coincidental):
  • Moishe: My Angel of Death has a scythe to kill people!
  • Shmuli: Oh yeah, my Angel of Death has a pitchfork!
  • Moishe: Mine has a scythe and a pitchfork!
  • Shmuli: Well, mine is spiky.
Unfortunately, I didn't hear what was surely a thrilling conclusion to this Angel of Death arms race.

What does your Angel of Death look like?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

1st question: I am the ultimate Angel of Death robot.

2nd question: See answer to first question. Then add missiles that shoot from everywhere!